Beyond landings – how do fisheries contribute to the lives of the poor? – Tim Daw et al.
Tim Daw’s presentation on how fisheries contribute to the lives of the poor.
- The ecological relationship between stock and flow presents challenges and tradeoffs
- Fisheries provide different benefits for multidimensional wellbeing
- Income is important and tied with other benefits but not the only value
- The value of each benefit, who can access it and it meets people’s needs and aspirations affected by social and ecological context, and governance.
- Recovering stocks, increasing landings, value-addition, all individually worthwhile, can’t realise the best contribution of fisheries to the poor